Scania LT146 tipper truck
After I dismantled the Scania wrecker I put the body work onto the Kenworth K100.
I still wanted to have a vintage tipper truck and started to build something new with the leftovers. At first I wanted to build
a Scania LT110, just like the brick truck but then with a shorter day cab. I was also think of
building even older LT75, one of the early 60s. I wasn't that satisfied with the shapes of the model while building. It could be
far more easy; converting the LS141 into a tipper truck.
It would be a Scania LT146. About this model there are lots of misunderstandings. The history about this type in brief.
Scania introduced the V8 engine with the LB140 in 1969, the cab over engine. They also came up with a 6x2 driven model at
the same time, the LBS140. After a couple of years a bonneted version would be added, the L140. That was in 1972. There
was also a 6x2 driven model in the range, the LS140. All these models were replaced by the '1-series' in 1976, the LB141 and
L141. But with the L140 Scania also introduced a 6x4 driven chassis in the same year. Strange enough it wouldn't be badged
as LT140, like its normal steered brother, the LBT140. I would be typed as LT145. Don't ask me why but perhaps because of
the heavy duty chassis. The LT145 would be replaced by the LT146 in 1976 of which I build a model. Lots of different types
and years but hopefully it is more clear now.
Because I build the Scania in parallel with the Kenworth I built the chassis in the saw way. Again no Technic bricks but
normal bricks. Next to this I didn't make use of Technic differentials for the back axles but I made my own axles. The big
advantage of this the axles would be much more stiff and could carry much more weight. The engine wouldn't be driven
then but I didn't wanted to do that anyhow. The axle could be built in much more detail as well however this type of Scania
was built quite straight forward. With the help of a chassis drawing and a Scania brochure I was able to build the chassis and
I finalized that part very quickly. The front axle is an exact copy of the LS141 but then converted into black. The main
color of the truck would be red.
The V8 engine
I didn't modify all. The design and detailing still met my standards thus I didn't saw any reason to change it. The same as for
the hood however I added a bar on both sides of it. The cab needed an update. The interior still would be the same more or less
but I replaced the co driver's seat by a bench. As dark orange would be a nice color I used that one for the seats. I collected
quite some plates in this color and it was used quite often for cab interiors in that decade. The back wall is brown on the inside
as well as the door panels. Of a model like this
would be quite an easy task and I started to adapt the cab. I used the same principle as on the Keworth, using 'droid arms' with a
turning point in the door itself. It wasn't difficult at all to adapt this and even the window frames fitted. Only the wheel arch
was a little headache and the door wouldn't swing as it should be. But I didn't want to change the shape of it and therefore
I kept it like this. The front panel of cab needed an update and could be much better detailed. The steering pump got a
mod as well, just like the radiator frame. I used a couple of pictures from a Scania book I bought, very useful. Unfortunately
I couldn't find the pictures anymore which I took to build the wrecker.
A tipper truck should tip and then the bodywork shouldn't be too heavy. Easier said than done. With a
it should be doable. First I built a frame for the bodywork and a subframe onto the truck chassis. I should be powered by
an XL motor and I took care of enough space for it in the chassis. I got a simple 1:3 ratio to the LA. Now it's all about the factor.
A plain frame it easy to tip over, the XL motor produces lots of torque. And with the system I used I was convinced to manage
this. The LA actually is a bit too small for a scale 1:13 model and that's why I had to place it in the back part of the sub frame.
Advantage of this there would be space enough in front of it for the XL motor. But would it be powerful enough for the
I continued with the bodywork and to save some unnecessary weight I used large plates with tiles for the side walls. With
cheese sloper I gave it even a better shape. The front panel is made of bricks. The tipper body shouldn't have been much
heavier than this. It tips over when empty. With some sawdust it goes but not as I expected. Now the bottom of the body is
made of normal plates and tiles would have been better as the sawdust will slide then when tipping. I didn't had enough of
those but maybe I'll change this. The charging doors is hinged in
I saw this system quite often in Scandinavia and that's why I gave it a certain look. Supplied with snow chains, roof rack, additional
lights and trilex rims it really looks like a Swedish truck in this livery. It's model I designed myself and I gave it a fictive
A nice 'in betweener' but in tact something which took a long time before it was finished.
I really have no idea|
July 2012 - May 2013|
To keep up to date about my future projects follow me on Facebook!